Earlier this month our website Mad About Moviez (MAM as we fondly refer to it) turned a grand decade old, having started operations way back in 2011 around this time. Back then the portal came up to fill a void of sorts, after the fantastic PFC (Passion For Cinema) shut down in the summer of 2011. With like minded film buffs like Ashwin Varma, Ajay Nair and Aditya Savnal joining me with the same mindset and enthusiasm, we began MAM in a small way. Though we did not set out with any particular goals, we soon realized that a portal like ours needed one or more focus areas. Covering conventional Bollywood and Hollywood cinema was thus relegated to the background, as we realized that doing justice to these broad areas would be tough. We were anyways late entrants and there were big, popular film websites with whom we would have to compete with.
So in this recent ban on porn sites in India we’ve already been facing a flurry of complaints & protests, mostly to do with freedom of individual privacy and the growing discomfort with the establishment in terms of diktats enforced. To add to it we now have an added problem-certain legitimate websites which have nothing to do with porn have also been allegedly blocked by some ISP’s and/or mobile data services providers.Continue reading “Is Accessing MAM (Mad About Moviez) Now a Problem?”
Last year around the same time when I was sitting down and penning down my thoughts on the recap of MAM’s 1st year, everything looked so nostalgic. The nostalgia still remains 2 years into the journey, but there’s also the eagerness to move forward and to branch out into frontiers not yet fully explored.Continue reading “MAM is now 2 Years ‘Young’: The Journey Continues”
Create an alternative poster for Vikramaditya Motwane’s forthcoming film Lootera and be in with a chance of winning some awesome prizes.
To coincide with the release of Lootera we at MAM are happy to announce the launch of the ‘Make Your Own Lootera Poster-Contest’. Here is an opportunity for all the creative minded people to try your hand at doing something which would not just be creative, but also be directly noticed by the team behind one of the most exciting forthcoming Bollywood films of 2013- Lootera.
Dear MAM readers we would want you to design an alternative theatrical poster for Lootera using the images given in the Facebook Album for reference. We’ve placed a few official posters below as a reference point, but we’re looking for the most interesting and unique designs. You can use as much or as little text as you like to go with your creative work. You can also download the official Lootera logo to along with your poster here.
You can view and download the reference images here.
The winning entry will be judged by none other than Vikramaditya Motwane (along with a select panel from MAM), and the winner will see his entry being used in the form of a hoarding in a prominent location in the city to which he/she belongs too. The lucky winner might also get to work with Phantom Films on a design for one of their forthcoming films as well. Select entries will also be shared in a special Facebook gallery after the contest has been closed.
How To Enter
Email your entry to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Lootera Poster Contest’. Entries can be sent in from the morning of 25th June (post-midnight of 24th) and will be accepted till the midnight of 27th June. Entries close by 11.59 P.M on the 27th.
NB: Entrants can upload a viewing version but should keep a hi-res copy big enough to be printed full sized on stand-by. Standard poster dimensions can be used. Poster can be in any form/medium- hand drawn illustration or painting, digital painting or graphic design/photo-manipulation etc.
Best of Luck!
(Note-click on any of these images to view the complete image)
Terms and Conditions
1. The Contest is open to anyone living across India and who would be interested in participation.
2. There is no minimum age limit, educational qualifier, or any specific background to which one needs to belong to be eligible to participate.
3. The Lootera team has come up with a photo bank which consists of 25 stills from the movie, which will serve as reference images. The participants can choose any one of these 25 stills to make their own interpretations and send it to us as their poster.
4. There is no restriction on the number of entries to be sent by any individual.
5. The entries must reach us latest by the midnight of 27th June. MAM does not accept any responsibility for entries received after the deadline or any incomplete, illegible entries or entries which are corrupted and cannot be opened on mail.
6. The winning entry will be selected by Vikramaditya Motwane and the decision will be final. MAM will not accept any correspondence regarding the same from any other individual.
7. The winning entry will be announced on 29th June and the winner will be individually intimated via e-mail about the same.
8. Along with the entries the participants are required to provide their basic details i.e name, age, sex, city/town they belong to and what are they currently involved with.
9. By submitting the entry to this contest each participant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions
I’ve always thought about this day but now when it’s in front of me I’m feeling a bit lost and wondering what to write. Anyways the idea here is to tell you all about how we went about starting MAM and highlighting some of the steps on the way. With the curtains down on PFC (something which still pains me) in May 2011 I was initially feeling quite upset. After all it wasn’t just a portal for me, rather almost a second home. For the last 3 years or so that I was active over there, starting with reading & commenting, followed by writing and then leading the editorial team, it was all about unpaid work in a way but something I loved doing and proud of in a very special way.Continue reading “MAM turns a year old; Exciting journey so far, even more exciting times ahead”